Answer by A Quora admin:
The Joker is not insane. He has always been sane.
But he doesn't seem sane, you ask?
That is because he doesn't want to seem sane. He is different. He doesn't want to be "normal" like us. The funny clothes he wears and the crazy stuff he does is a way of ridiculing us. The Joker is the darkest form of sarcasm you will ever witness.
Everything we stand for, all our objectives and aims in life are too narrow for him and he is above and beyond all that. And these quotes totally substantiate my claim:
- “It’s not about the money, it’s about sending a message. Everything burns!”
- “I’m like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one, you know, I’d just do…things.”
- “Let’s put a smile on that face!”
- “Those mob fools want you gone. So they can get back to the way things were. But I know the truth, there’s no going back. You’ve changed things…forever.”
- “And I thought my jokes were bad.”
One of the major things that categorize an insane person as insane is his lack of logic. Lack of the ability to analyze things properly. But look at his logic. I don't know why but his dialogues just ring that bell. They have that most beautifully obvious logic working behind:
Do you want to know why I use a knife? You see, guns are too quick. You can’t savor all of the little…emotions. In their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way…I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?”
And he loves physics. No seriously:
- “I took Gotham's white knight and I brought him down to our level. Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.
- “You… you just couldn’t let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible aren’t you. You won’t kill me because of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won’t kill you because…you’re just too much fun. I get the feeling that you and I are destined to do this forever.”
This is kind of unrelated but here is my favorite Joker quote:
“Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos, I’m an agent of chaos , and you know the thing about chaos? It’s fair.”
Still think he is insane?